Wrestling fundraiser at Waynesboro High School to benefit UVA Children’s Hospital
Awesome Wrestling Entertainment is back with an event on Saturday, May 6, at Waynesboro High School to raise money for the UVA Children’s Hospital.
The Night of the Superstars is a staple event of AWE, a Stuarts Draft-based promotion that has raised more than $70,000 for the UVA Children’s Hospital through its wrestling fundraisers.
“The biggest superstars in wrestling are converging on Waynesboro to give fans a spectacular night of entertainment and raise thousands of dollars for a great cause,” said Doug Ward, the founder of Awesome Wrestling Entertainment, which in 2011 became the only independent professional wrestling company to stage a live In Demand pay-per-view, Night of the Legends, which was broadcast from Augusta Expo in Fishersville.
The card for the May 6 fundraiser at Waynesboro High School, which has hosted Night of the Superstars events several times over the years, dating back to the first show back in 2002, includes:
- Former Ohio Valley Wrestling champion Jamin Olivencia faces former TNA world champ Mr. Anderson for the inaugural Awesome Wrestling Entertainment world heavyweight title
- The Ugly Ducklings face The Platinum Enforcers (C.W. Anderson and Phil Brown) for the inaugural AWE world tag-team titles
- Former WWE Cruiserweight champ Kid Kash faces former TNA X Division top contender Sonjay Dutt
- Former WWE Cruiserweight champ Hornswoggle faces Abo Shongo
- Dani Ferrera faces Savanna Evans and Kacee Carlisle in a Triple Threat Match
- Also appearing: WWE Hall of Famers and former WCW world champs Ron Simmons and Barry Windham and former United States champ Magnum TA
The UVA Children’s Hospital provides primary and specialty care in more than 30 specialties to children throughout Virginia. The hospital-within-a-hospital at UVA Medical Center has 111 beds, a dedicated pediatric emergency department, neonatal and pediatric intensive care units and a consolidated outpatient children’s care facility.
The hospital also houses ongoing children’s medical research efforts.
“It’s an honor for us at Awesome Wrestling Entertainment to be able to do our part to assist the UVA Children’s Hospital in doing the great work that it does for the children of Virginia every day,” Ward said.